Monday 31 March 2008

Finishing Strong

Anyone familiar with serious running would know the jargon 'Kick' - it means burst of speed, usually a near sprint pace, at the end of the race or run.

As mentioned in one of my previous articles, Last Lap, it's so good to finish or come to the end of the race, with the feeling of satisfaction or accomplishment. It is that exact thing that will bring you back time and time again!

How many of us have been in that last lap or few yards near the end (with everything and everyone around you) and you desperately want to finish strong. After a long race, when you are tired, legs burning, lungs are at their end and somehow you find the last energy to run to the best of your ability. With spectators and other runners urging you on as you fight till the end while you smell victory, even if it's only to complete the race. Finishing Strong!!

It is at the start of a race when the adrenaline is flowing, that I find myself at my best. I love to start things, new things, new challenges. Where other people stand back for the challenge of starting new projects or doing something for the first time, I love everything about it. My whole being shouts with the pleasure for the unknown, the impossible and the courage it takes to head up something new.

I find starting well easy, but it's so important to finish well. To finish strong is maybe one of my biggest challenges right now. To give it the same effort, time and energy at the beginning and the end! To actually finish what I started!! What a challenge!!
Where do I start? One step at a time, small steps at a time. I try to look at small areas where I can get trained in. Like finishing the paint job I started so eagerly, or implement one of my hundreds of dreams I have...
So, we all start a race to actually finish it, why not finish it strong?

Until the next race.............. what if it's the way you finish this one, will determine the way you begin the next one!!

No comments: