Sunday 23 March 2008

Always One Step Ahead

The fact that I like running comes from my dad, who "ran" the works.....loads of 10k's, marathons and even 2 ultra marathons.

I remember the days out with him like they were yesterday.
We didn't talk a lot while running, probably because I was trying to breathe.

But I do remember him teaching me something I will never forget, he said 'Always stay one step ahead'!! What a great insight and wisdom that have carried me through life.

If we would be out running, he would push me to the limit and then let me run slightly in front of him.

It gave me confidence... It felt like I was in front... It gave me a head start... It was psychology at it's best.

I tried achieving that experience with everything in me, because I wanted that feeling everytime of being in front, even if it was only one stride. I will always chase the person in front of me, trying to be JUST in front of him.

For me it worked, but I won't say it will be healthy to do ALL the time and surely as you get older and wiser, you don't need to chase the person in front. You just need to stay in front of the person behind you?!!

It also doesn't mean you need to see it as 'staying in front of someone', it could mean staying in front of yourself. Staying 'Always One Step Ahead' in your work, or in management or leadership etc.

We need to excel ourselves, and others, to keep on running well in life. We need to keep on improving and pushing ourselves to stay on top of our game. After a while you will know your limits and talents to know where, when and how much you need to be ALWAYS ONE STEP AHEAD.

4 comments:

Ellie Hamilton said...

Hey, "Journey" -- good post. I'm tussling with that concept right now, needing to be "one step ahead," telling myself it's OK to be "average" in a lot of things... staying one step ahead of MYSELF is the perfect compromise.

You asked me, on my blog, how to credit images you use from Google. You don't have your email address enabled on your profile, so I'm editing my post to include the info. Thanks for asking!

Jade Lady said...

Your Dad passed on some wise words - thanks for passing it on to us!

Jade Lady said...

Chris, I'm unable to subscribe to your RSS feed - can u look into this - I get untitled something when I subscribe, with no posts.

Sport Leadership said...

Hi "Jade Lady"

the same RSS feed is on my blog that is on top of internet browser?
will you try again?